Wednesday 29 September 2010

Thriller Image


The genre I chose to do was thriller/horror. It is a close up, point of view shot of a knife, with 'blood' splatter and shadow hovering over. The photo is quite dark and shadowy, which emphasises to the mood of the image being eerie and mysterious.It is as though the hand is going to grab the knife. Blood is dripping down the knife, which may suggest that there has been a murder. The hand looks quite tense, which adds to suspicion. 

To create a bold shadow, I shone a light above my hand, so that the reflection would appear on the white sheet. I used Adobe Photoshop and changed the 'vibrance' of the image to -100. As a result it turned the image more black and white. It also added a slight glow to the image, to convey the thriller genre. To create the blood splatter, I got red ink and dribbled it down the knife. I then splatted the ink around the knife. Here I have also created a 'point of view' shot. I did this deliberately to allow the viewer to experience the position of the person. 

I am quite pleased with my shot and feel it is quite successful as it shows the genre clearly. The shadow and ink splatter has really emphasized the typical conventions of my desired genres. 

If I was to re-create the shot I would have maybe added the hand, or a shadow of a face. I would have also tried to have taken the shot more closely, so that the viewer is able to focus on the more on the objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment